10 Free Fall Things To Do in White County
1. Enjoy a walk at Altherr Nature Park – A scenic path will immerse you to nature’s most beautiful assets; vegetation and wildlife. You will soon forget that you’re still in the city limits of Monticello. Bring the kids, a camera, and capture nature’s beauty.
2. Participate in the Monticello Union Township Public Library programs – The library offers tons of fun things to do for kids, teens, and adults! Each week, there is something new to learn about and participate in. Check out the community calendar for more information about their events.
3. Visit the White County Historical Society Museum – Wow! This is a MUST for history buffs. Whether you are a White County resident or just visiting for the weekend, you are guaranteed to learn something about our communities. Ohhhh and let’s not forget about the Riverwalk development happening right there at the Historic Plaza.
4. Go on a Barn Quilt Tour – We have 11 barn quilts throughout White County. Each quilt is as unique as the landowner. Spend an afternoon traveling through our county roads to see how these beautiful quilts preserve the architectural legacy of historic barns.
5. Cast a line fishing at Bluewater Beach – Aside from the cost of a fishing license ($17ish), fishing at Bluewater Beach is free! In fact, it’s encouraged! The pathway and decks are completely ADA compliant and offer full range of lakeside access.
6. Tour the Historic Wolcott House – A national historic landmark, the Wolcott House maintains its original beauty and has been standing for over 140 years. Call ahead for an opportunity to tour the home which belonged to the founder of Wolcott! Plus, the setting is stunning in the fall and winter!
7. Walk around the Buffalo Community Park – This park has 9 slides in total with bold and playful colors! Be prepared to lose track of time as you enjoy all of the fun components of Buffalo’s park. Don’t leave without taking a picture next to the huge buffalo head that was carved on a tree stump.
8. Enjoy a fall day at Kent’s Cucurbits Pumpkin Farm in Brookston – An afternoon at Kent’s will make everyone in the family smile. The Pumpkin Vine Express, corn maze, ice cream truck, and pumpkin patch create family memories for years to come. Make it an annual fall tradition!
9. Explore Monon’s Historic Downtown, including the train caboose – The town of Monon is known for its historic impact on trains and major railroad route crossways. Monon has a historic theatre, a downtown block registered as a historic landmark, and a free-standing train caboose for kids (and adults) to explore.
10. Embrace fall at Larimer’s Neck of the Woods – A small working farm with thriving apple and pear trees, delicious sweet corn and melons, and a pumpkin patch give you and your family the opportunity for a true fall escape.
10.5. VOLUNTEER with local organizations such as United Way, Streets of Monticello Association, Rotary, Kiwanis, and many more!